Sunday, January 18, 2009

Becoming a cook

So I feel like a cook for the first time. Last week our neighbor gave us cans and cans of hot enchilada sauce that she didn't want/couldn't use. That, of course, made me very hungry for enchiladas. I found a recipe online, but I wanted the enchiladas *that day* and couldn't get out to the store. So, I improvised with the ingredients I had on hand. Here's my "recipe."

Bake and shred 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Once shredded, add about half a packet of taco seasoning to the chicken. In a bowl, combine the seasoned chicken, a can of enchilada seasoning, salsa (I used about half a jar), cheese (I used Monterrey and Colby Jack because that's what we had, but I would have preferred cheddar), sour cream (roughly 4 oz), chopped onions and garlic. I made this filling ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge all day. About 45 minutes before we were ready to eat, I rolled the mixture into flour tortillas (Pinky helped me with this part) and laid them in a casserole dish. I topped the enchiladas with another can of enchilada sauce, salsa and lots of cheese. Bake for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve with sour cream and chopped green onions on top.

These were very, very good. I impressed myself. The best part was that this recipe made a lot of food, so I froze 6 enchiladas to make another day. I'll let you know how well they reheat from frozen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...