Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sewing up a delicious meal!

I'm so excited that I actually *made* something this weekend. I've been surfing around on a lot of different craft blogs, and I've fallen in love with felt food. If you haven't seen it yet, go do a google search for "felt food." Go on. I'll wait...

See? It's adorable isn't it? I'm hoping to make some felt food for our play kitchen (maybe as Easter or Christmas gifts this year). I decided last night to pull out the craft felt I have lying around the house and see what I could come up with. I found this tutorial for a doughnut pattern. It seemed simple enough so I gave it a try. Here's my finished project:

Not too bad for a first time. There are definitely some things I would change. Next time I will use my machine to sew. I did this all by hand because I didn't feel like lugging out my machine (reason #124,529 that I need a dedicated craft room). It was a fun, mindless project to do while watching The Pelican Brief with my husband, but I certainly could have done it much faster with my machine. Second, the overall doughnut needs to be larger and the center hole needs to be smaller. The pattern I used called for a 5 1/2 inch outer circle. I only had a 4 1/2 inch ready made circle to trace, so I used that. The center hole though started as a tracing of a 2 liter pop bottle lid. It sort of grew with cutting and sewing. I also didn't have embroidery thread for the sprinkles (some people also use seed beads, but I wanted this to be kid friendly) so I used regular thread, and it's stuffed with cotton balls (which worked surprisingly well) instead of batting.

All in all though, I think it turned out pretty well. Pinky immediately recognized it as a doughnut, so that's success enough for me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...