Monday, February 1, 2010

Diamond Rock Quarry Sensory Box

Ever since Pinky's teachers told us that she loves the sensory table at school, I've been excited to make a sensory box here at home. I wasn't sure if she would like it quite as much as the one at school, so I made this one with things I already on hand.

I started with red and blue aquarium pebbles, then buried blue and clear glass stones beneath them. I added a few construction trucks (including a digger), a spoon, a shovel, and two plastic cups. I was going to call it a rock quarry, but at the last minute decided to hide some plastic jewels beneath the rocks, knowing that would definitely intrigue Pinky - thus making it a DIAMOND Rock Quarry (or at least that's how I sold it to her).

As of right now, she has been playing for 2 straight hours with her new sensory box!! She was SO excited when I showed it to her and started digging almost immediately.


She has been an explorer, found all the hidden/buried stones and gems, poured the pebbles back and forth between the cups, pretended to be a pirate stealing treasure, sorted the gemstones by color and size, and pretended to plant the "gemstone seeds" to grow magical plants. I wonder what she will come up with next?

If you're interested in making your own sensory box (I used a plastic under the bed storage tote) - this site has an amazing amount of ideas!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...