Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Kitchen Challenge

If you've read my blog before, you know I'm not much of a cook. It's not that I can't do it, I just don't really enjoy it. I seem to lack that gene that can figure out how to throw together a can of this, a box of that, a few herbs and voila! dinner is made. Since my hubby LOVES to cook (in the same freakish, over the top way I love to craft) there has never been much of a reason for me to broaden my culinary horizons before.

Now that baby #4 is on the way and our evenings are getting busier, I'm finding that it's easier to (gasp) cook something fast myself instead of waiting for the hubs to come home.

So, I have challenged myself to find a few recipes that I can cook relatively quickly that won't make the whole family pray for take out. I'm starting small by broadening my crockpot recipes (I have had a request for recipes that do NOT use cream of anything soup - I can't say I disagree). I do hope though to add a few meals that don't involve the crockpot too.

For my first venture, I tried a Chicken in a Marsala Herb Sauce recipe from Stephanie Cooks. The original recipe is here.

I pretty much followed her recipe exactly, except I used 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead. At the end, the sauce was not as thick as I wanted it to be. So the real cook in the family showed me how to transfer the liquid to the stove top and thicken it to make a gravy.

It was a really good meal! I wish I would have taken a picture (note for future meals) because it even looked pretty (something I find hard to do with crockpot meals). Even my husband, who normally does not care for crockpot meals, liked this one.

I'm adding this recipe to my "can cook" list.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...