Saturday, January 15, 2011

DIY Recipes

Lately I've been trying a few new DIY recipes for basic household supplies. I've really loved them and thought I would share.

First, we switched to a homemade laundry detergent. We prefer to leave ours in a powder form as it's easier to store and scoop. This is the recipe we use:

2 parts finely grated Ivory soap
1 part Borax
1 part Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)

Store in an airtight container. You only need one tablespoon for an average load, 2 if your things are heavily soiled.

We've been so happy with our switch (our clothes are much softer and the cost savings is amazing!) that I'm considering making some dryer balls in place of fabric softener sheets.

The other recipe we tried is our own detangler/leave in conditioner for Pinky. This one is super simple. Just add a small dab of your regular conditioner to a spray bottle, then fill the bottle with water. Give it a good shake and you're ready to go!

My husband has fully jumped on board the no 'poo movement and while I remain unconvinced he loves it. I've been looking for some baking soda shampoo recipes that he can try. I found some interesting information here (be sure to click the follow up at the end of the post for more info).

I've recently discovered the Homemade Mamas blog that has LOTS of great DIY recipes. You should check it out!

What things do you make at home to save money?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...