Sunday, May 15, 2011

What My Child is Reading

The kids requested books about cars and mermaids this week, so after a little research (No Time for Flashcards has a great book resource by theme), this is what I came up with from our local library.


The Three Little Rigs, as you would expect from the title, is a retelling of the classic 3 Little Pigs. The story is cute, with the big bad wolf being replaced by a big bad wrecking ball and the Little Rigs chanting "not by the chrome on my chinny chinny chin!" My kids loved this story, but if your kids are sensitive, the ending could be deemed scary as the wrecker (and a couple other not so nice tools) end up in the melting pot.


My Truck is Stuck is a rhyming, counting story about a stuck truck and all those who try to help get him unstuck.


Another hit with the kids was I Stink. The story is told from the point of view of a garbage truck. He even shares an "alphabet soup" recipe that includes puppy poo, kitty litter, and dirty diapers. My kids loved the gross factor in this book.


Maxi was once a stray dog until he was taken in by a nice taxi driver. The book tells of his adventures in this quick, rhyming story.


Mermaid Dance was Pinky's top choice for the week. While the story was a bit thin (mermaids prepare for the solstice party), the illustrations are enough to keep you turning the pages.


Meriam doesn't like to get ready for bed. As her mom brushes out her hair at night a few surprises (like a little fish and seashell) lead Meriam to explain how they got there. A surprise at the end of the story left Pinky smiling.


The Dragon and the Unicorn is a story of both conservation and friendship. When King Orlando begins ordering his men to cut down the forest, Valerio the dragon and Allegra the unicorn must find a way to preserve their home.


I Love You the Purplest was my pick for the week. I have wanted to read it since I read this post during the Read Along at Helping Little Hands. I think this is a great read for moms of more than one child.

What have you been reading with your kids lately?

Linking to:



1 comment:

Anne said...

Catching up on neglected links! Thanks for linking up at Feed Me Books Friday! We've enjoyed I Stink from our library before. I love fairy tale retellings, so I'll have to be on the lookout for the 3 little rigs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...