Friday, January 23, 2009

My Other Crafts

Since I'm dedicating this year to crafting, I thought I would show off some of my older crafts. One of the easiest (and one of my favorite) crafts is decoupaged plates. These are relatively inexpensive to make too. I use mine as decorative items (I have a shelf where I display one or two at a time) though at Christmastime I have made a few in a holiday/winter theme and baked cookies to go on top of them. Add some pretty cellophane and ribbon and you have a great homemade gift!

Here's a sampling of some of the plates I've made. I honestly have one for every season and in every size. The pictures are a bit sketchy. Someday I will sit down with an instruction manual and learn to take great pictures, but for now you'll have to make do with these less than perfect ones.

These really are pretty easy to do. You need a clear glass plate (without a ridge on the bottom), a pretty fabric, Mod Podge, low grit sandpaper, a foam brush, and poly acrylic. Trim the fabric to fit on the underside of the plate. Cover it in Mod Podge being sure to cover the edges well (I lift them and put the Mod Podge under AND over the fabric). I do the spreading with my hands to really get a good covering. It's a messy step, but it cleans up pretty easily. Let dry. Sand lightly. Repeat. Using your foam brush paint over the fabric with the poly acrylic. Let dry. Repeat 2-3 times. Using a warm cloth, gently wipe off any excess glue or poly acrylic. Proudly display your masterpiece.

*Do not submerge these plates in water! They are decorative and not functional.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...